Author Glenda L. Hunter

Author Glenda L. Hunter

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

ANXIETY


          Headed to Wal-Mart with list in hand ready to grab a few things and back home. "I can do this," I keep telling myself as I park the car. I reach the door and enter no problem. Then all of a sudden it hits again. By the time I reach the carts, I start to sweat, tension swells up inside and my heart begins to race very fast, but I keep pushing on. I hold onto the cart extra tight as if it is trying to run away and begin my shopping. I have a hard time concentrating. I stare at the list. As I stand in the isle I feel the tears begin to well up in my eyes. I swallow hard to keep pushing on. Finally with all of my items in the cart I check out and almost run to the car. As quick as I can I put my things in the car and get behind the wheel. I sit there and begin to cry. I cannot control it any longer. I stay parked right there until I get control of myself so I can drive home. Yes, it is a full blown panic attack. That is what anxiety can cause.

The dictionary says that anxiety is worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome. Anxiety can cause us to become so afraid it is hard to venture out of our own house. It keeps us from doing the things that we need to do for ourselves or even our family. It can be a real, crippling thing. There are things that you can do to get control back. One easy thing to do when you feel it creeping in is to stop, literally stop, take a deep breath, and stand still for a few seconds then proceed. It helps calm your insides down long enough for you to tell yourself you can do this. No one will even notice that is what you have done, as long as you don't stop right in front of someone. Taking a short walk also helps you to calm yourself. If you find anxiety rising, just because you are outside, don't run back in and hide. Do what I first mentioned because you can do this.

Many things cause us to be anxious and lose hope for the day so I want to share this scripture with you. Matthew 6:34 (Jesus says) "Therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Paul in I Peter also tells us what to do with the anxiety. I Peter 5:7 "Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you".

Have a great day. Taking a deep breath, add a smile to your face and do what you need to get done. You got this.

https://www.betterhelp.com/online-therapy/

No comments:

Post a Comment