Author Glenda L. Hunter

Author Glenda L. Hunter

Thursday, February 15, 2018

STRESS

    I was asked to write about stress. When I think about stress I think about my good friend. She went to the hospital for chest pain, no heart attack the doctor thought it was probably stress. Solution was to cut out the stress in her life. I think the laugh we got from that comment probably did her more good than going to the hospital. So what is stress? Steve and I were talking about stress the other night and he said it is from outside sources. While on the other hand worry is from internal. That sure gave me something to think about. I went to everyone's favorite source these days to see what google had to say. The first thing I found out was it actually does comes from an outside source (he was right). For example, you might be stressed about work and the amount you have to do in a short time or other related issues with work. What about family? They can certainly add to your stress level, for various reasons. If you are in school, you might be concerned about the course load and making the grade. Once these events have passed, the job situation changes, family conditions change and the classes are complete, you will notice your stress level has decreased until something else comes up. There can be periods you might seem like the stress in your life will never end but it will pass.
             Signs you might have too much stress: depression or general unhappiness, agitation, moodiness, shortness of breath, and feeling overwhelmed. I am sure this is not all but just a few signs you could experience. There are things you can do to help get these feeling under control. First just stop take a deep breath, continue to breath slowly for a while and you should start to feel your body calming down. Evaluate the situation. Is it something you can change? If so, take the steps to change the situation. If it is something that affects you but you cannot change, release that into the proper hands and refuse to carry the extra stress. That is not always easy but when you master it, your stress level will decrease. Find some type of exercise. My son is a runner and he says it really cuts down on his stress level. I know that taking a good walk, breathing in the good fresh air helps the mind and body to relax and gives me a new focus on things. I must confess I don't do it near enough. I know when I do it I feel less stress and when I get home I feel like I can handle things much better. Things will come up so you need to find a way of releasing the stress that you face. Or you might be like my friend facing a doctor that is telling you the same thing.
            I know I mentioned worry so I should at least say something about it. Worry can be triggered by stress but keeps hanging around. They both have many of the same signs. But according to the National Institute of Health's U.S. National Library of Medicine "there is one telltale symptom that signals anxiety (worry) and only anxiety: a persistent feeling of apprehension or dread." Try very hard to get your stress under control before it becomes full blown worry and cause a serious problem.
            Other tips to help manage and reduce your stress level: avoid caffeine, physical activities, get more sleep, try relaxation techniques, talk to someone, keep a stress diary, manage your time and take control of your situation. They sound easy right? So we should have no more trouble with stress. I know you are about ready to throw your computer or phone at me because you don't think it sounds that easy and I don't know what stress you have to deal with. I know but you also don't know if any of these will work until you give them a try. You need to do it more than one time to honestly say if it works. I think you will find with practice you will find the thing that fits you the best. Then practice until it becomes a regular habit. One that will greatly improve your life and attitude.
            Also, I would suggest that you focus on God more. Make the situation a matter of prayer for guidance, then follow the guidance God gives. I Peter 5:7 'Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." I will being praying for you my reader that your days will be less stressful and God's peace will fill your day. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment