Author Glenda L. Hunter

Author Glenda L. Hunter

Saturday, January 29, 2022

Compassion and love

As I was getting ready to leave church a couple of Sundays ago, I stopped to talk to a dear man (we'll call Harry). Harrys wife (we'll call her Ellen) is sick an unable to attend church. I know she has dementia and asked how she was doing. Harry said she has her good and bad days. A little about dementia before we go any further with this story it attacks the brain and causes loss of memory. As it progresses the person does not remember the here and now the brain only recalls the past. As it gets worse that will also go and they do not remember anything. Some people can linger in that state for a number of years. It is a very sad state for them and the family. The love one you did know and love is no longer able to share many cherished memories that make the life you have lives together so very special and precious.  Continuing on with the story.

Harry said "I tell her I'm going to the kitchen to fix supper then as soon as I get in there she calls out and wants to know where he is." A smile came across his face as I waited to see what else would follow. He said "Ellen said the other day as soon as she found out who I am she is going to marry me." As he recalled this I could see the love in his eyes for his dear wife of over fifty years. All I could think of at the moment was WOW! I did tell him we wanted to go see her that week if he was okay with that. He said it would be fine come anytime.  As that Sunday went on I couldn't get Harrys smile out of my mind. The fact that even in a mind that is not well Ellen still found a deep love for Harry.

The next day my husband and I stopped and picked up her favorite cupcakes and headed to her house. She did not know who we was but welcomed us anyway. We found a pleasant lady that told us her husband was working and she was not sure when he would be back. You could see the love in her eyes for him as she talked. Then she talked about a time in her life that was from the far past. We were not too sure what time period she was in but that is how her life is now. We listened and entered into the conversation when we could. We gave hugs as time arrived for us to leave. I asked her if we could pray with her. Of course you can she said with a big smile on her face. I prayed for her and her family then we left. I left there thankful that I was able to have that time with one of God's children.

I cannot seem to get them out of my mind. Harry is truly a man that shows great compassion and love for his dear wife even when she doesn't remember who he is. I believe that true compassion comes from a heart that is full of love. If you do not really love someone it is hard to show the compassion needed in tough times rather it be a sickness or something else. God is like that. He is not only with us during the good times he is there is there in the bad as well. He never leaves us. When Jesus walked on this earth he showed compassion to people, matter of fact he was moved with compassion. Take time to read in the Gospels about Jesus and the compassion he showed people. He was showing us God in the flesh. Read with an open heart and allow God to really speak his love to you. God loves us so much he sent his son to die for us in spite of the bad we have done. All he is asking us is to love him back and serve him. Is that so hard? He might ask you to give up something you like doing, but stop and evaluate if that thing is good for you, does it help you be a better person? If you are struggling ready to give up give God a try and allow him to change your life. He will never forget your name and always be there for you. May God enrich you with some great Christian people that will help you see and know what his great love is all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment