Author Glenda L. Hunter

Author Glenda L. Hunter

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Can DID/MPS people get better?

If you hear the diagnosis of DID/MPD you might feel like there is no use to try and get better because that cannot happen. I am here to tell you different. Yes the diagnosis might not be what you want to hear. But it could be worse you could have a different mental illness that does not have a cure. Do I mean a cure that you take medication for and one day you wake up and it is gone? No. It is not that way. The cure is one that takes hard work. First finding a great therapist that is patient, consistent, firm along with caring and willing to invest time is where to start. You might not think they are out there but I am sure they are I found one. Really God led me to her. They are not the only ones that is required to do some hard work you are as well. For me to get better I have realized a number of things. First of all I had to have a deep desire to recover what was stolen from me which was my wholeness. Then I had to learn to trust. That was very hard
because my whole life I was learning not to trust. You cannot just flip a switch that helps you to trust you just have to make an effort. I have also found it very helpful to journal. For me it was less embarrassing and easier to put some things on paper than to speak them out loud. It is helpful to share that with your therapist so they can understand how to help and direct you better. Also you need to have support people. Someone you can call when your therapist is not in their office. A person or persons that is willing to support you even when you try to push them away. Even though I am married that did not mean trust was easy. I will say that my husband and children were and are a big support to me. The biggest thing is to keep pushing even though you don't feel like it. Don't get discouraged when you feel you have slipped believe your cheering team when they say it is ok. Brush yourself off, take another step and keep pushing. I might have
made this sound like it was easy for me but many times I had to lean on someone else to help carry me when I could not take another step. But it is worth the fight. Believe it or not God is right there willing and able to help you along the whole journey. You are worth the fight that I do know. I know that because God made us all important. Just because you had severe trauma which caused the split does not mean you are any less important. Push on to recovery and become all you were meant to be.
If you want to chat you can email me at alters30@yahoo.com or if you want me to speak to your group feel free to contact me. I would love to help you and others along their journey. To know how I traveled my journey I have put some of it in poem form which I share in my book "Out of the Depths a Poetic Journey". Also my book "An Unspeakable Secret" is my journey to healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment