Author Glenda L. Hunter

Author Glenda L. Hunter

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Does Being In Therapy Affect The Whole Family?

The fact that I was MPD was never a real big deal to me. I knew nothing different. I was also glad to be able to find out what was wrong. I had known for years that I had a problem I also had figured it was bigger than I wanted to believe. For years I cried inside myself I just wanted to be better. I had no idea what I had hid deep in the inner recesses of my mind. But what I did not know was how therapy would work when I started my journey. I still was in hopes of a quick fix. When you go to the doctor they tell you what is wrong if needed a surgery is done and in a few weeks good as new. Sad to say that is not quit how therapy works. In therapy to get the real healing needed you have to dig clear to the core of the problem carefully peeling back every layer. It takes you back to the depths of your own tortured soul. For me it was back to those childhood days of abuse. Even though therapy only lasted an hour it was felt long after leaving the office.
At some points in the early part I could not even drive so Steve would take me and pick me up. The boys would take care of things around the house, like laundry and even fixing frozen pizza. Things that I would have normally done Steve and the boys would do. There was not much sleep for Steve because I would wake up in the middle of the night screaming with nightmares. In reliving many memories I would become so suicidal that I ended up in the hospital. One time I went to Whitfield where I spent ninety plus days. The boys spent a lot of time with friends while Steve worked and went to school. After the fact our oldest son said "many days the only thing I wanted to do was go home where my stuff was". I was not always tuned into their needs not because I didn't want to be but I just could not. I think at any age children need to be shown you love them. When they feel neglected sometimes they act out, which happened at our house. After taking a trip
to school on an issue we decided it was time we had a family meeting. I will never forget sitting on the floor in our living room with our children. When they shared they was missing me doing things with them and sometimes they just needed a hug. My heart was broken we all sat there hugging each other and crying. We came up with a plan. If any of us needed a hug we just had to ask. That was a great help and it was used. My family was and is my greatest cheerleaders. I am not sure I would be where I am today if it hadn't been for their love. It does affect the family but you can do it, we did. God helped us to keep together. Thanks God for a loving family.

No comments:

Post a Comment